Seeking a Board Treasurer
Do you thrive in using your financial skills to help make a difference for others?
United Against Slavery is supported by hard-working Board Members and we are currently adding a Board Treasurer in preparation for the next expansion of growth at our 501(c)(3) organization.
The Board Treasurer is an executive and voting member of the board of directors at United Against Slavery. He/she is accountable to the Board for the fulfillment of the duties and responsibilities outlined below.
The Treasurer, as other board members, has no authority to direct staff or take independent action on matters outside of the duties outlined unless given such authority by the Board.
Up to ten hours per month (quarterly board meetings, meetings with the CEO/CFO, committee meetings)
Term of Office
Two years with the possibility of renewal for a second term
Roles and Responsibilities
The Treasurer will offer guidance to the CEO and CFO to ensure good fiscal planning, decision-making and oversight at a governance level. His/her principle duties are to:
- Oversee the development of high-level financial policies and their review by the board
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and its presentation to the board for review
- Ensure that the appropriate monthly or quarterly financial statements are reviewed by the board
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities such as reviewing the organization's annual financial statements
- Ensure financial reporting requirements are submitted on a timely bases and are compliant with state regulations, including 990 filings, audits, and registration with the Secretary of State and Attorney General
- Verify that donations are handled appropriately and that grants and service delivery contracts are accounted for in accordance with the requirements of funders
- Regularly assess risks and whether and how such risks should be mitigated
- Meet with the external auditor annually, or more often if needed, to identify any financial control and record keeping problems or deficiencies and oversee action by the CEO and CFO to address them
- Recommend to the board the need for a review or renewal of the auditing services provided
- Assists the CEO and Board Chair with the development and presentation of the annual report
- Recommend appointment or reappointment of auditor at the annual general meeting
- Works with the CEO to keep the board informed of important financial events, trends, and issues relevant to United Against Slavery
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and strategic directions
- An understanding of, and experience with, good financial management and reporting practices
- A professional accounting designation is preferred
- A level of financial information needed at a board level to support decision making
- An ability to commit the time required to fulfill the responsibilities described
Service on United Against Slavery’s board of directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.
Positions Available > Treasurer