Seeking a Chairman of the Board of Directors
Are you a change maker and a leader among leaders?
United Against Slavery is supported by hard-working Board Members and we are currently adding a new Board Chair in preparation for the next expansion of growth at our 501(c)(3) organization.
As a partner to the chief executive officer (CEO) and other board members, the Board Chair will provide leadership to United Against Slavery as it transitions into a sustainable national entity with a global impact. The Board Chair will share the nonprofits vision to collect comprehensive data that will support efforts that fight against all forms of human trafficking and to equip and empower human trafficking survivors and anti-trafficking stakeholders who work on their behalf. The Board Chair will also support and sustain the work of United Against Slavery and provide governance leadership and strategic fundraising support. Specific responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Being a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implements United Against Slavery’s strategic plan
- Developing and managing relationships and communicating with funders, partners, and other stakeholders
- As a board member, approving United Against Slavery’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by United Against Slavery for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Coordinating an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and Nominating Committee in recruiting board members
- Periodically consulting with board members on their roles and helping them assess their performance
- Planning, presiding over, and facilitating board and committee meetings; partnering with the CEO to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring United Against Slavery’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities United Against Slavery serves
- In collaboration with the CEO, generating substantial annual revenue and fostering United Against Slavery’s overall financial health
- Identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual donors, corporate, and/or foundation gifts
United Against Slavery’s Board Chair will serve a two-year term and will be eligible for re-appointment for up to two additional terms. Board meetings will be held quarterly, and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the success of United Against Slavery’s beneficiaries and who has a track record of board leadership. The selected Board Chair will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will attract other well-qualified, passionate, and high-performing board members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated success as a nonprofit board member or board chair
- Track record of building credibility in the funding community that has resulted in major financial gifts to a nonprofit
- A commitment to and understanding of United Against Slavery’s beneficiaries and mission, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of United Against Slavery’s beneficiaries
Service on United Against Slavery’s board of directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.
Positions Available > Chairman of the Board of Directors